The Shakespeare Discussion Group meets the second Wednesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. in the Trustees' Room.
Every year we select a range of plays, and themes that echo across the Shakespearean canon, as well as sonnets and narrative poems. Some of the readings take place over one month, others carry into a second month. There is no requirement of familiarity with Shakespeare's works in order to join our discussions.
A play leader pre-circulates background readings, talking points, as well as scenes and excerpts to be read in plenary. Everyone has a chance to read, though anyone who would prefer not to is free to pass. Reading aloud helps to take us off the page and breathe some life into the words themselves. Discussions are guided by the play leader and group moderators and generally flow organically.
While we do not require any specific edition of Shakespeare's works for our discussions, please defer to the widely available Norton or Penguin editions if you are acquiring a new text.
For further questions, please feel free to write to group moderators Michael Almond at email@example.com and Jerome Maryon at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sep. 13: Henry VI (selection from parts 1, 2 and 3)
- Oct. 11: Sharon Hamilton, Shakespeare’s Daughters
- Nov. 8: As You Like It
- Dec. 13: Othello
- Jan. 10: Othello
- Feb. 14: The Merchant of Venice
- Mar. 14: The Merchant of Venice
- Apr. 11: The Two Noble Kinsmen
- May 9: Pericles
- Jun. 13: Winter’s Tale, or whatever Commonwealth Shakespeare Company are playing on the Common, or great Shakespeare soliloquies
- Jul. 11: Winter’s Tale, or whatever CSC are playing on the Common, or great Shakespeare soliloquies