The Civil War Discussion Group meets the fourth Wednesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in the Trustees' Room, unless otherwise specified at the Security Desk.
The group meets to discuss themes of the war broadly, such as leadership; battles; military matters; civilian and home front people and events; slavery; and pre-war and post-war politics. Come and enjoy a group that welcomes new members. Everybody learns something every time: a group of the members, by the members, for the members.
For any further questions, please contact the group's co-chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Happy Summer!
- Sep. 27: Doris Kearns Goodwin, Team of Rivals
- Oct 25: Fred Kaplan, Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer
- Nov. 29 (N.B. this is the fifth Wednesday): John Stauffer, Giants: The Parallel Lives of Fredrick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln
- Dec 20 (N.B. this is the third Wednesday): Harriett Jacobs, Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
- Jan 24: Robert P. Broadwater, Battle of Despair: Bentonville and the N.C. Campaign
- February 28 meeting cancelled due to lack of quorum. Williamson Murray and Wayne Wei-Siang Hsieh, A Savage War: A Military History to be discussed next month in addition to March's regularly scheduled reading.
- Mar. 28: Williamson Murray and Wayne Wei-Siang Hsieh, A Savage War: A Military History; and James Robertson, Standing Like a Stone Wall: The Life of General Thomas Jackson
- Apr. 25: Jeff Shaara, The Fateful Lightning: A Novel of the Civil War
- May 23: Bruce Catton, Mr. Lincoln’s Army
- Happy summer!
- Sep. 26: Ron Chernow, Grant