In recognition of their generous annual support, Annual Fund donors at the Sponsor level and above receive the following special benefits to enhance their Athenæum experience.
- Ability to register for events in advance of the registration open date
- Invitation to the Annual Fund celebration reception each October
- Invitations to VIP exhibition previews
- Opportunities to travel with the Athenaeum on domestic day trips
- Listed recognition in the Annual Report
- Invitations to special Patrons events
- Exclusive opportunities to travel with the Athenæum abroad
- Invitations to special 10½ Circle events, including exclusive post-event meet-and-greets
- Behind-the-scenes curator-led talks and tours
- Unlimited free and guaranteed seating at all events
- One-on-one meeting with the director
The Armstrong Society is named in honor of Rodney Armstrong, Director and Librarian of the Athenæum from 1973 to 1997. The society was founded to honor those donors who made cumulative gifts of $100,000 or more to the Twenty-First Century Fund Campaign (1998-2002).
Today, the Armstrong Society celebrates all donors who have made cumulative gifts of $100,000 or more to the Athenæum. Their gifts have benefited all aspects of the Library, including underwriting cataloging and digitization, building the collections, renovating the building, honoring staff members by endowing positions, and supporting operating expenses.
Armstrong Society members enjoy an annual event featuring dinner and a special program.
The John Bromfield Society was established to honor those who make planned gifts to the Athenæum. This includes, but is not limited to, life income gifts, bequest intentions, and gifts of life insurance or retirement plans. The society was named to honor John Bromfield, whose initial bequest of $25,000 in 1846 has grown to more than $6.5 million. It has enabled the Library to maintain its distinction as one of the country's leading research institutions.
Currently there are over 140 living Bromfield Society members. Each year we honor their generosity through a special evening reception.