Reference librarians and the main reference collection are located on the second floor of the Athenæum. We are happy to assist members whether researching an extensive scholarly project, learning how to use Athena, (the Athenæum's online catalog), curious about an obscure fact, or looking for a cozy mystery to read over the weekend.
ANNOUNCEMENT: In July and August 2017, the Circulation Desk will be temporarily relocated to the first-floor Bow Room during renovations. Please pardon our appearance and any noise disruptions during this period.
The Circulation Desk at the Boston Athenæum is located on the first floor, just beyond the Security Desk. Here members may check out and return books, reserve books, sign up for Art & Architecture Tours or meet for New Member Tours, and ask for help finding books. Gift shop items may also be purchased at the Circulation Desk.
Computer and Equipment Resources for Members
- WiFi access is available throughout the building.
- Ask a staff member or consult the signs throughout the Library for the WiFi password.
- Computers for checking Athena, the Boston Athenæum Catalog, are located on every floor.
- Computers running Windows and offering a variety of services such as Internet access and Microsoft Office are available on the second floor and fifth floor. All files saved to these computers are erased when they are rebooted. The charge for printing (black & white only) is 10 cents per single page or 5 cents per side for double-sided pages. See a reference librarian or Printing Instructions for help.
- Basic Computer skills
- Reference librarians at the Boston Athenæum are always happy to help one-on-one with questions. Stop by the Reference Desk any time or click on the "Need Help, Ask a Librarian" button to request an appointment at a specific day and time.
- For help learning basic skills, try these websites with tutorials introducing the parts of a computer, mousing & keyboard skills, along with other instructions.
- Scanning and Copying
- All scanners and copiers are located on the second floor
- Books and other materials may be copied using a black & white photocopier with a book handler at a cost of 25 cents per page or 40 cents per double-sided page. Please ask a reference librarian for help with fragile books.
- Microfilm can be read using a microfilm reader that saves to USB drive or can print to a printer. See a reference librarian or online microfilm reader instructions for help.
- A wide variety of materials can be scanned to a smartphone with ScanDock, a device that uses a free downloadable app (Android, iOS) to scan materials. See a reference librarian or online Scandock instructions for help.
- eReaders and Tablets
- Kindles, pre-loaded with books, are available at the Circulation Desk, and may be checked out for 14 days at a time.
- Two iPads are available at the Circulation Desk where they may be checked out and used in the library for two hours at a time.