Boston Athenæum members who are already Proust enthusiasts, and those who are aficionados-in-the-making, are invited to join The Proust Reading Group. Meetings generally take place on the last Tuesday afternoon of each month, from 12:00 1:30 p.m., unless otherwise specified, in the Trustees' Room.
The group will be reading from Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Volume 1, by Marcel Proust—the C.K. Scott-Moncrieff-translation, edited and annotated by William Carter.
The group is led by Proust scholar Dr. Hollie Markland Harder, who is the director of language programs and Associate Professor of French at Brandeis University. Her work on Proust includes articles on Françoise’s cooking (“Proust’s Novel Confections: Françoise’s Cooking and Marcel’s Book,” which appeared in Modern Language Studies) and the function of humor in Proust’s novel (“Proust’s Human Comedy,” published in The Cambridge Companion to Proust).
Participants must sign up in advance for the year. There is a fee of $100 per year. Anyone interested should contact the Circulation Desk at (617) 227-0270 x279 or email email@example.com.
- Sep. 27: Combray I, pp. 1–43
- Oct. 18 (N.B. this is the third Tuesday): Combray I, pp. 1–43 (cont'd)
- Nov. 29: pp. 44–76
- Dec. 20 (N.B. this is the third Tuesday): pp. 168–214
- January 10 snow date for December
- Jan. 31: Combray I, pp. 55–76
- February 7 snow date for January
- Feb 28: pp. 268–324
- March 7 snow date for February
- Mar. 28: pp. 324–377
- April 4 snow date for March
- Apr. 25: pp. 377–435
- May 30: Place-Names: The Place, pp, 436–484