The Ancient Greco-Roman Classical Literature Reading Group ("Classics") will meet the first Wednesday of every month from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. in the Trustees' Room, unless otherwise specified at the Security desk.
The group will focus on Greek and Roman Literature in Translation and the Classical Tradition. Greco-Roman Literature encompasses epic poetry, love elegiacs, odes, dramatic works, historical narratives, etc.
Participants must sign up in advance for the year. There is an annual fee of $100.
For further questions and/or to join the email list, please contact Cashman K. Prince at email@example.com.
- Jul. 12 (N.B. this is the second Wednesday): James Davidson, Courtesans & Fishcakes: The Consuming Passions of Classical Athens
- No August meeting
- Sep. 6: Homer, Iliad, Book VI
- Oct. 4: Homer, Iliad, Books XXII, XXIV
- Nov. 1: Homer, Odyssey, Books V, VI
- Dec. 6: Homer, Odyssey, Book XI
- No January meeting
- Feb 7: Vergil, Aeneid, Books I–II (Virgil, The Æneid, translated by David Ferry (University of Chicago Press, 2017; ISBN: 9780226450186))
- Mar. 7 MEETING CANCELLED DUE TO EARLY CLOSURE (INCLEMENT WEATHER)
- Mar. 14 (N.B. this is the second Wednesday): Vergil, Aeneid, Books III–IV: MEETING CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER CLOSURE
- Apr. 4: Vergil, Aeneid, Books V–VI
- May 2: Vergil, Aeneid, Books VII–IX
- Jun. 6: Aeneid, Books X - XII
- Happy summer!