To be added to our mailing list and receive press releases and other information, please complete a press release opt-in form.
Members of the press and media are invited to email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Requests for photo and film shoots must be submitted to email@example.com at least two weeks before the requested shoot date. Venue rental fees may apply.
May 1, 2020
Leah Rosovsky Appointed Stanford Calderwood Director of the Boston Athenæum
The Boston Athenæum announces the appointment of Leah Rosovsky as Stanford Calderwood Director, becoming the seventeenth leader in the Athenæum’s 213-year history. Rosovsky, who served as Vice President for Strategies and Programs at Harvard University until 2019, will assume her role at the Athenæum later this month.
The Boston Athenæum is closed temporarily due to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
February 7, 2020
Athenæum makes historic Harriet Hayden Albums available to community of Boston and beyond
- Photo: Virginia L. Molyneaux Hewlett Douglass, the wife of Frederick Douglass, Jr., son of the great orator and abolitionist, and daughter of Aaron Molyneaux Hewlett, director of the Harvard gymnasium and the university’s first African American staff member
- Photo: Robert Morris, the first Black lawyer to represent a client in an American court
- Photo: An inscription by Robert Morris in the albums
- Photo: Frances Clayton, who fought alongside her husband after enlisting in the Union Army as a man under the alias “Jack Williams.”
- Photo: Theo Tyson of the Athenaeum and Rev. Jeffrey Brown of Twelfth Baptist Church looking at the Harriet Hayden Albums
- Photo: Exterior of the album given to Harriet Hayden by Robert Morris
January 21, 2020
Athenæum receives $182,500 National Endowment for the Humanities grant for conservation lab
August 25, 2017: Boston Athenæum Exhibition, Thomas Buford Meteyard (1865-1928): Travels through Impressionism, Is First in an American Museum to Showcase Work of Important American Impressionist, Opening October 25
March 16, 2017: Boston Athenæum to Showcase Local Contemporary Artists in New England on Paper: Contemporary Art in the Boston Athenæum's Prints & Photographs Collections, Opening April 6
February 17, 2017: Boston Athenæum Welcomes Acclaimed Children's Book Author-Illustrator and Fine Artist Duo Oliver Jeffers and Sam Winston
January 16, 2017: Landmark Gift of WWII Graphic Arts Collection by Athenæum Proprietor Richard W. Cheek Enhances Institution’s Collection of Wartime Visual Materials
November 8, 2016: Boston Athenæum Hosts Pulitzer Prize-Winning American Composer and Pianist Yehudi Wyner for Celebratory Concert on Monday, November 21
September 30, 2016: Daniel Chester French: The Female Form Revealed opens to the public in the Athenæum's Norma Jean Calderwood Gallery on Friday, October 7
March 29, 2016: Collecting for the Boston Athenæum in the 21st Century: Prints & Photographs opens to the public in the Athenæum’s Norma Jean Calderwood Gallery on Wednesday, April 6
February 17, 2016: The Proprietors of the Boston Athenæum Elect John S. Reed as 23rd President of the Board of Trustees
October 28, 2015: Collecting for the Boston Athenæum in the 21st Century: Maps, Charts, & Plans, opens to the public on Tuesday, November 3
January 22, 2015: American Neoclassic Sculpture at the Boston Athenæum Opens February 26; Leading Collection Exhibited Together for the First Time
August 19, 2014: Over Here: World War I Posters From Around the World opens at the Boston Athenæum September 10, 2014