For Athenæum members curious about how best to preserve their books, paper documents, manuscripts, photographs, or any other family heirlooms or collections, Chief Conservator Dawn Walus recommends the following online sources.
General topics in preservation of paper materials:
- Northeast Document Conservation Center, Preservation Leaflets .
- Library of Congress, The Deterioration and Preservation of Paper .
- Cornell University, Conservation and Preservation Services .
Information on family collections:
- Northeast Document Conservation Center, NEDCC Offers Hints for Preserving Family Collections .
Care of books:
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic an Artistic Works, Caring for Your Books
- John Mumford, David Pearson, and Alison Walker, National Preservation Office Preservation Guidance Occasional Papers, Understanding and Caring for Bookbinding .
- Rare Books and Manuscripts Section of the Association of College and Research Libraries, a division of the American Library Association, Your Old Books .
Care of paper documents, manuscripts, and works of art on paper:
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic an Artistic Works, Caring for Your Works of Art on Paper .
- Cornell University Library Conservation and Collection Maintenance Department, Care of Family Papers and the Home Library .