Below are listed some books relevant to the topics presented this autumn. We have not included the books featured at the event—as everyone can easily find those. This is only a small sampling of suggestions; please feel free to browse the shelves where these books are to discover more.
Book Talk: Miss Anne in Harlem, noon, September 17
Barnet, Andrea. All-Night Party: The Women of Bohemian Greenwich Village and Harlem, 1913-1930. Chapel Hill: Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, 2004.
- LC Classification: F128.5 .B26513 2004
Hull, Gloria T. Color, Sex & Poetry: Three Women Writers of the Harlem Renaissance. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1987.
- LC Classification: PS153 .N5 H84 1987
Hutchinson, George. In Search of Nella Larsen: A Biography of the Color Line. Cambridge: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2006.
- LC Classification: CT275 .L374 H87 2006
Lecture: King George IV, the Greatest Royal Collector of Art, 6p.m., September 18
Evans, Mark L. Princes as Patrons: The Art Collections of the Princes of Wales from the Renaissance to the Present Day. London: Merrell Holberton Publishers, 1998.
- LC Classification: + N5245 .P75 1998
Jackson-Stops, Gervase. The Treasure Houses of Britain: Five Hundred Years of Private Patronage and Art Collecting. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1985.
- LC Classification: +N5245 .T74 1985
Perry, Anne. Buckingham Palace Gardens: A Novel. New York: Ballantine Books, 2008.
- LC Classification: PZ4 .P4616 Buc 2008
Roberts, Hugh. For the King’s Pleasure: the Furnishing and Decoration of George IV’s Apartments at Windsor Castle. London: Royal Collection, 2001.
- LC Classification: Lg NK2044 .W56 R62 2001
Book Talk: Amy Lowell Anew: A Biography, noon, September 26
Gould, Jean. Amy: The World of Amy Lowell and the Imagist Movement. New York: Dodd, Mead, 1975.
- Cutter Classification: 65 .L9497 .go
Hughes, Glenn. Imagism & the Imagists: A Study in Modern Poetry. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1931.
- Cutter Classification: XVEP .H8744 .i
Exhibition: Collecting for the Boston Athenæum in the 21st Century: Paintings and Sculpture, reception 5:30p.m., October 1
Craven, Wayne. Sculpture in America. Newark: University of Delaware Press, 1984.
- LC Classification: +NB205 .C7 1984
Dearinger, David and Cushing, Stanley. Acquired Tastes: 200 Years of Collecting for the Boston Athenæum. Boston: Boston Athenaeum, 2006.
- LC Classification: Lg N521 .A8 A55 2006
Hirayama, Hina. With Éclat: The Boston Athenæum and the Origin of the Museum of Fine Arts. Boston: Boston Athenaeum, 2013.
- LC Classification: +N521 .A8 H57 2013
Miller, Angela. American Encounters: Art, History, and Cultural Identity. Upper Saddle River: Pearson Education, Inc., 2008.
- LC Classification: +N6505 .M55 2008
Wentworth, Michael. Look Again: Essays on the Boston Athenæum’s Art Collection. Boston: Boston Athenaeum, 2003.
- LC Classification: N521 .A8 W46 2003
Book Talk: Queen Bee of Tuscany: The Redoubtable Janet Ross, noon, October 3
Acton, Harold Mario Mitchell. The Villas of Tuscany. London: Thames and Hudson, 1984.
- LC Classification: Lg NA7356 .T8 A37
Ross, Henry James. Letters from the East. London: J.M. Dent & co., 1902.
- Cutter Classification: ARZ .R73
Sereni, Emilio. History of the Italian Agricultural Landscape. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1997.
- LC Classification: S469.18 S413 1997
Book Talk: America’s Romance with the English Garden, noon, October 8
Great Britain Royal Commission for Chicago Exhibition. Catalogue of the British Section. (1890s British Advertisements)
- LC Rare book (by appointment): T500 .G1 G73 1893
Leighton, Ann. American Gardens of the Nineteenth Century: “For Comfort and Affluence”. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1987.
- LC Classification: SB451.3 .L46 1987
Musgrave, Toby. The Head Gardeners: Forgotten Heroes of Horticulture. London: Aurum, 2007.
- LC Classification: SB61. M87 2007
Book Talk: The Men Who United the States, noon, October 15
Rosen, William. The Most Powerful Idea in the World: A Story of Steam, Industry, and Invention. New York: Random House, 2010.
- LC Classification: TJ461 .R67 2010
Swift, Earl. The Big Roads: the Untold Story of the Engineers, Visionaries, and Trailblazers Who Created the American Superhighways. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2011.
- LC Classification: TE23 .S95 2011
Wallace, Irving. The Square Pegs: Some Americans Who Dared to be Different. New York: Knopf, 1957.
- Cutter Classification: 65 .9°W155
Book Talk: Being a Rockefeller, Becoming Myself, 6p.m., October 18
Collier, Peter. The Rockefellers: An American Dynasty. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1976.
- Cutter Classification: 65 .9YR593 .c
Hill, Clint. Mrs. Kennedy and Me. New York: Gallery Books, 2012.
- LC Classification: CT275 .O52 H54 2012
Loebl, Suzanne. America’s Medicis: The Rockefellers and Their Astonishing Cultural Legacy. New York: Harper, 2010.
- LC Classification: CT274 .R62 L63 2010
Book Talk: Local Souls: A Novel, 6p.m., October 22
Blount, Roy. Long Time Leaving: Dispatches from Up South. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2007.
- LC Classification: F209.5 .B58 2007
Brown, Nic. Floodmarkers. Berkeley: Counterpoint, 2009.
- LC Classification: PZ4 .B8789 Fl 2009
Hudson, Marjorie. Accidental Birds of the Carolinas: Stories. Winston-Salem: Press 53, 2011.
- LC Classification: PZ4 .H886 Ac 2011
Book Talk: On Paper: The Everything of Its Two-Thousand-Year History, noon, October 24
Basbanes, Nicholas. A Gentle Madness: Bibliophiles, Bibliomanes, and the Eternal Passion for Books. New York: H. Holt and Co., 1995.
- LC Classification: Z992 .B34 1995
Doty, Richard G. Money of the World. London: R. Hale, 1978.
- LC Classification: +HG209 .D67
Koretsky, Elaine. Killing Green: An Account of Hand Papermaking in China. Ann Arbor: Legacy Press, 2009.
- LC Classification: TS1095 .C6 K67 2009
Lecture: Becoming a Conservator: History, Craft, and Science, noon, October 29
Cox, Richard J. Personal Archives and a New Archival Calling: Readings, Reflections and Ruminations. Duluth: Litwin Books, 2008.
- LC Classification: CD977 .C68 2008
Lord, Clifford Lee. Keepers of the Past. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1965.
- Cutter Classification: 95 .ZL884
Oddy, W.A. The Art of the Conservator. London: British Museum Press, 1992.
- LC Classification: +N8560 .A76 1992
Lecture: Investing in Rebellion: Digitization of the Athenaeum’s Confederate Collection, noon, November 5
Morris, Thomas Francis. The Life and Work of Thomas F. Morris, 1852-1898. Larchmont: 1968.
- LC Classification: +HE6185 .U5 M65
Neely, Mark E. The Confederate Image: Prints of the Lost Cause. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1987.
- LC Ref: +E467 .N44 1987
Tomasko, Mark D. The Feel of Steel: The Art and History of Bank Note Engraving in the United States. Newton: Bird & Bull Press, 2009.
- LC Rare book (by appointment): Lg Z232 .B57 T65 2009
Lecture: English Writers and Their Houses: Dickens, Christie, and du Maurier, 6p.m., November 7
Chandler, Marilyn R. Dwelling in the Text: Houses in American Fiction. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991.
- LC Classification: PS374 .S45 D87 1991
Macaskill, Hilary. Daphne Du Maurier at Home. London: Frances Lincoln Publishers, 2013.
- LC Classification: +CT788 .D855 M32 2013
Premoli-Droulers, Francesca. Writers’ Houses. London: Cassell, 1995.
- LC Classification: Lg PN164 .P73 1995
Book Talk: In Search of Lost Time, 6p.m., November 12
Bersani, Leo. Marcel Proust: The Fictions of Life and of Art. New York: Oxford University Press, 1965.
- Cutter Classification: 5F .P947 .be
Gay, Peter. Modernism: The Lure of Heresy: From Baudelaire to Beckett and Beyond. New York: W.W. Norton, 2008.
- LC Classification: NX454.5 .M63 G39 2008
Maurois, André. Proust: Portrait of a Genius. New York: Harper, 1950.
- Cutter Classification: 5F .P947 .maE
Muhlstein, Anka. Monsieur Proust’s Library. New York: Other Press, 2012.
- LC Classification: PQ2631 .R63 Z78925 2012
Lecture: Growing the Huntington: A Programatic Approach, noon, November 15
Bennett, Shelley M. The Art of Wealth: The Huntingtons in the Gilded Age. San Marino: Huntington Library, 2013.
- LC Classification: +N5220 .H86 B46 2013
Henry E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery. A Handbook to the Huntington Library Exhibition. San Marino: Huntington Library, 1978.
- LC Classification: Z733 .H5 H45 1978
Thorpe, James Ernest. Gifts of Genius: Treasures of the Huntington Library. San Marino: Huntington Library, 1980.
- LC Classification: Z733 .S25 T5
Book Talk: The Founders At Home: The Building of America, 6p.m., November 19
Bernstein, Richard B. The Founding Fathers Reconsidered. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- LC Classification: E302.5 .B47 2009
Trees, Andrew S. The Founding Fathers and the Politics of Character. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2004.
- LC Classification: E302.1 .T74 2004
Wood, Gordon S. Revolutionary Characters: What Made the Founders Different. New York: Penguin Press, 2006.
- LC Classification: E302.5 .W82 2006
Book Talk: The Discovery of Middle Earth: Mapping the Lost World of the Celts, noon, November 21
Isaacs, Neil David. Tolkien and the Critics: Essays on J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 1968.
- Cutter Classification: VE .T577 .zi
McEvedy, Colin. The Penguin Atlas of Ancient History. Baltimore: Penguin Books, 1967.
- LC Classification: G1033 .M17 1967
Thomas, Charles. Celtic Britain. London: Thames and Hudson, 1986.
- LC Classification: DA140 .T56
Concert: The Capital Trio, Music of Beethoven, Smetana, and Dvõrák, 6p.m., November 22
Connolly, Thomas. Mourning into Joy: Music, Raphael, and Saint Cecilia. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1995.
- LC Classification: ML85 .C66 1995
Large, Brian. Smetana. New York: Praeger, 1970.
- LC Classification: +ML410 .S63 L4 1970b
Škvorecky, Josef. Dvorak in Love: A Light-Hearted Dream. New York: Knopf, 1987.
- LC Classification: PZ4 .S619734 Dv
Lecture: Dr. Zabdiel Bolyston Adams: Surgeon and Soldier for the Union, noon, December 3
Adams, George Worthington. Doctors in Blue: The Medical History of the Union Army in the Civil War. New York: H. Schuman, 1952.
- Cutter Classification: RJ .Ad47 .d
Peabody, Charles Newton. Zab: Brevet Major Zabdiel Boylston Adams, 1829-1902, Physician of Boston and Framingham. Boston: Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine, 1984.
- LC Classification: CT275 .A327 P41
Rutkow, Ira M. Bleeding Blue and Gray: Civil War Surgery and the Evolution of American Medicine. New York: Random House, 2005.
- LC Classification: E621 .R88 2005
Book Talk: Monsieur Proust’s Library, 6p.m., December 5
Alexander, Patrick. Marcel Proust’s Search for Lost Time: A Reader’s Guide to Remembrance of Things Past. New York: Vintage Books/Random House, 2009.
- LC Classification: PQ2631 .R63 A7664 2009
Karpeles, Eric. Paintings in Proust: A Visual Companion to ‘In Search of Lost Time’. London: Thames and Hudson, 2008.
- LC Classification: PQ2631 .R63 A8321 2008
Wolf, Maryanne. Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain. New York: Harper, 2007.
- LC Classification: QP408 .W64 2007
Lecture: Beyond the Athenaeum: Life After the Laboratory, noon, December 7
Foot, Mirjam. Bookbinders at Work: Their Roles and Methods. London: British Library, 2006.
- LC Classification: +Z266 .F64 2006
Smith, Philip. The Book, Art & Object. Merstham: P. Smith, 1982.
- LC Classification: Lg Z116 .A3 S58 1982
Book Talk: The Kid: The Immortal Life of Ted Williams, 6p.m., December 9
Baldassaro, Lawrence. Ted Williams: Reflections on a Splendid Life. Boston: Northeastern University Press, 2003.
- LC Classification: CT275 .W553955 T42 2003
Johnson, Dick. Ted Williams: A Portrait in Words and Pictures. New York: Walker, 1991.
- LC Classification: +GV865 .W5 T43 1991
Linn, Edward. Hitter: The Life and Turmoils of Ted Williams. New York: Harcourt Brace & Co., 1993.
- LC Classification: CT275 .W553955 L56