The Based On The Book discussion group meets the fourth Tuesday (previously met fourth Wednesday) of every month from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. in the Seminar Room, unless otherwise specified at the Security desk.
Each month this group discusses a book of fiction and a movie based on the book. Each discussion is moderated by one of the group members. The book and movie pairs are selected by the discussion group. Some examples of book and movie pairs are Jane Austen, Emma (1815) and the 1995 movie Clueless with Alicia Silverstone; Pierre Boulle, The Bridge on the River Kwai (1952) and the 1957 movie with Alec Guinness; Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It (1976) and the 1992 movie with Brad Pitt; Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969) and the 1972 movie with Marlon Brando; Ian Fleming, Casino Royale (1953) and the 2006 movie with Daniel Craig; Ian McEwan, Atonement (2001) and the 2007 movie with Keira Knightley.
If you would like to join the group, please contact Grant Schaumburg, GS@athmovies.org.
Note that during the Covid-19 outbreak our meetings are held through a virtual platform.
- Jan. 26: Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina; 2012 film
- Feb. 23: Stanisław Lem, Solaris; 1972 film
- Mar. 23: Shakespeare, Macbeth; 1957 film Throne of Blood
- Apr. 27: Henry James, The Bostonians; 1984 film
- May 25: F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby; 2013 film
- Jun. 22: Nikos Kazancakis, Zorba the Greek; 1964 film
- Jul. 27: William Kennedy, Ironweed; 1987 film
- Aug. 24: Muriel Spark, The Driver's Seat; 1974 film
- Sep. 28: Rudyard Kipling, The Man Who Would Be King; 1975 film
- Oct. 26: Ernest Hemingway, To Have and Have Not; 1944 film
- Nov. 23: Dashiel Hammett, The Thin Man; 1934 film
- Dec. 28: Stephen King, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption; 1994 film