The Based On The Book discussion group meets the fourth Tuesday (previously met fourth Wednesday) of every month from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. in the Seminar Room, unless otherwise specified at the Security desk.
Each month this group discusses a book of fiction and a movie based on the book. Each discussion is moderated by one of the group members. The book and movie pairs are selected by the discussion group. Some examples of book and movie pairs are Jane Austen, Emma (1815) and the 1995 movie Clueless with Alicia Silverstone; Pierre Boulle, The Bridge on the River Kwai (1952) and the 1957 movie with Alec Guinness; Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It (1976) and the 1992 movie with Brad Pitt; Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969) and the 1972 movie with Marlon Brando; Ian Fleming, Casino Royale (1953) and the 2006 movie with Daniel Craig; Ian McEwan, Atonement (2001) and the 2007 movie with Keira Knightley.
If you would like to join the group, please contact Grant Schaumburg, GS@athmovies.org.
Note that during the Covid-19 outbreak our meetings are held through a virtual platform.
- Jul. 28: Louisa May Alcott, Little Women and the 2019 film
- Aug. 25: Daniel Woodrell, Winter's Bone and the 2010 film
- Sep. 22: Patrick O'Brian, Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World and the 2003 film
- Oct. 27: P.D. James, The Children of Men and the 2006 film
- Nov. 17 (N.B. this is the third Tuesday): Ernest Hemingway, For Whom The Bell Tolls and the 1988 film
- Dec. 15 (N.B. this is the third Tuesday): E.M. Forster, A Room with a View and the 1985 film