The Based On The Book discussion group meets the fourth Tuesday (previously met fourth Wednesday) of every month from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. in the Seminar Room, unless otherwise specified at the Security desk.
Each month this group discusses a book of fiction and a movie based on the book. Each discussion is moderated by one of the group members. The book and movie pairs are selected by the discussion group. Some examples of book and movie pairs are Jane Austen, Emma (1815) and the 1995 movie Clueless with Alicia Silverstone; Pierre Boulle, The Bridge on the River Kwai (1952) and the 1957 movie with Alec Guinness; Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It (1976) and the 1992 movie with Brad Pitt; Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969) and the 1972 movie with Marlon Brando; Ian Fleming, Casino Royale (1953) and the 2006 movie with Daniel Craig; Ian McEwan, Atonement (2001) and the 2007 movie with Keira Knightley.
This group is currently at capacity. For further questions, or to be put on the group's wait list, please write to group moderator Grant Schaumburg at GS@athmovies.org.
We offer meetings through a virtual platform and in-person with a hybrid connection. Please contact the group moderator with questions.
- Jan. 25: Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness; 2001 film Apocalypse Now Redoux
- Feb. 22: Laura Esquivel, Like Water for Chocolate; 1993 film
- Mar. 29: (N.B. this is the fifth Tuesday) Robert Stone, The Dog Soldiers; 1978 film Who'll Stop The Rain
- Apr. 26: Elizabeth von Arnim, The Enchanted April; 1991 film
- May 24: Seamus Heaney, translator, Beowulf; 2007 film
- Jun. 28: Jessica Bruder, Nomadland: Surviving America in the 21st Century; 2020 film Nomadland
- Jul. 26: Walter Mosley, Devil in a Blue Dress; 1995 film
- Aug. 23: James Ellroy, L.A.Confidential; 1997 film
- Sep. 27: Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange; 1971 film
- Oct. 25: Joseph Conrad, Nostromo; 1997 film
- Nov. 22: James Joyce, The Dead; 1987 film
- Dec. 27: John Le Carré, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; 2011 film