The Civil War Discussion Group meets the fourth Wednesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in the Trustees' Room, unless otherwise specified at the Security Desk.
The group meets to discuss themes of the war broadly, such as leadership; battles; military matters; civilian and home front people and events; slavery; and pre-war and post-war politics. Come and enjoy a group that welcomes new members. Everybody learns something every time: a group of the members, by the members, for the members.
For any further questions, please contact the group's co-chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Happy Summer!
- Sep. 25: David Blight, Fredrick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom (focus on pages 288–550)
- Oct. 23: Joanne B. Freeman, The Field of Blood: Violence in Congress and the Road to Civil War
- Nov. 20 (N.B. this is the third Wednesday): Cory M. Pfarr, Longstreet at Gettysburg: A Critical Assessment
- Dec 18 :(N.B. this is the third Wednesday) Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers, They Were Her Property: White Women and Slave Owners in the American South
- Jan 6 (joint meeting with the Fiction group, at their regularly scheduled time of 6:30 p.m. in the Seminar Room): Sue Monk Kidd, The Invention of Wings
- Group will not meet at their regularly schedule time of 1/22 given the joint meeting with the Fiction group.
- Feb. 26: Cate Lineberry, Live Free or Die: Robert Smalls Story
- Mar. 25: Allen Guelzo, Lincoln and Douglass: The Debates that Defined America
- Apr. 22: David Blight, American Oracle: The Civil War in the Civil Rights Era
- May 27: Henry Louis Gates Jr., The Stony Road