The Civil War Discussion Group meets the fourth Wednesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in the Trustees' Room, unless otherwise specified at the Security Desk.
The group meets to discuss themes of the war broadly, such as leadership; battles; military matters; civilian and home front people and events; slavery; and pre-war and post-war politics. Come and enjoy a group that welcomes new members. Everybody learns something every time: a group of the members, by the members, for the members.
For any further questions, please contact the group's co-chair: email@example.com
- Happy summer!
- ***Due to COVID-19, group will meet virtually until further notice***
- Sep. 23: Allen Guelzo, Lincoln and Douglass: The Debates that Defined America
- Oct. 28: Robert M. Browning, Lincoln’s Trident: The West Gulf Blockading Squadron
- Nov. 11 (N.B. this is the second Wednesday).: Brian Lusky, Men is Cheap: Exposing the Frauds of the Free Labor in Civil War America
- Dec. 23: Donald Stoker, The Grand Design Strategy and The U.S. Civil War
- Jan 4 (joint meeting with the Fiction group, at their regularly scheduled time of 6:30 p.m.): Jeff Schaara, Smoke at Dawn
- Group will not meet at their regularly schedule time of 1/27 given the joint meeting with the Fiction group.
- Feb. 24: Edward Achorn, Every Drop of Blood: The Momentous Second Inauguration of Abe Lincoln
- Mar. 24: Joshua Chamberlain, The Passing of the Armies: An Account of the Final Campaign of the Army of the Potomac, Based on Personal Reminiscences of the 5th Army Corps
- Apr. 28: Timothy B. Smith, The Real Horse Soldiers: Benjamin Grierson’s Epic 1863 Civil War Raid Through Mississippi
- May 26: Allen Gosnell, Guns on the Western Waters: The Story of Gunboats in the Civil War