The Civil War Discussion Group meets the fourth Wednesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in the Trustees' Room, unless otherwise specified at the Security Desk.
The group meets to discuss themes of the war broadly, such as leadership; battles; military matters; civilian and home front people and events; slavery; and pre-war and post-war politics. Come and enjoy a group that welcomes new members. Everybody learns something every time: a group of the members, by the members, for the members.
For any further questions, please contact Wayne Soini at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We offer meetings through a virtual platform and in-person with a hybrid connection. Please contact the group moderator with questions.
- Jan . 10 (joint meeting with the Fiction group, at their regularly scheduled time of 6:30 p.m.): Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
- Civil War will not meet at their regularly scheduled time of 1/26 given the joint meeting with the Fiction group.
- Feb. 23: Craig L. Symonds, Lincoln and His Admirals
- Mar. 23: T. H. Williams, Lincoln and His Generals
- Apr. 27: Jay Winik, April 1865
- May 25: Sven Beckert, Slavery's Capitalism
- Jun. 29 (N.B. this is the fifth, not the fourth, Wednesday): Roger Lowenstein, Ways and Means; Lincoln and His Cabinet and Financing the War
- Happy Summer!
- Sep. 28: Personal Memoirs of General U.S. Grant
- Oct. 26: Personal Memoirs of General U.S. Grant
- Nov. 16 (N.B. due to holiday the group will meet on the third Wednesday): Mark Bilelski, A Mortal Blow to the Confederacy: The Fall of New Orleans
- Dec. 21 (N.B. due to holiday the group will meet on the third Wednesday): Dred Scott Forum: any sources, diverse points of view
- Civil War will not meet at their regularly scheduled time of in January, and instead will have a joint meeting with the Fiction group on the Fiction group's schedule.
- Feb. 22: James McPherson, Battle Cry of Freedom
- Mar. 22: James McPherson, Battle Cry of Freedom
- Apr. 26: David Dixon, The Lost Gettysburg Address: Charles Anderson's Civil War
- May 24: Brian H. Reid, The Scourge of War: The Life of W.T. Sherman