The Dickens discussion group will meet the first Thursday of every month from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Trustees' Room, unless otherwise specified. Taking its keynote from the memorable Nabokov introduction in which he announced, ‘We are now ready to tackle Dickens. We are now ready to embrace Dickens. We are now ready to bask in Dickens,’ the group seeks to create a welcoming literary space where members may tackle, embrace, and bask in Dickens for years to come.
The group is open to all levels of experience and interest in Dickens, from those who have never had the pleasure of meeting him at all, to those who had a brief acquaintance with him in school, to those many for whom he has become an old and very dear friend.
Interested members should contact the group’s moderators Claire Laporte and Clive Martin to be placed on the email list: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jun. 4: American Notes ***Group will meet virtually***
- Happy summer!
- Sep. 3: Dombey and Son I
- Oct. 1: Dombey and Son II
- Nov. 5: The Haunted Man and the Battle of Life (1848 and 1846 respectively)
- Dec. 3: Elizabeth Gaskell, North And South
- Jan. 7: Hard Times
- Feb. 4: David Copperfield I
- Mar. 4: David Copperfield II
- Apr. 1: Henry Fielding, Tom Jones I
- May 6: Henry Fielding, Tom Jones II
- Jun. 3: A selection from Henry Mayhew's London Labour And The London Poor