The Dickens discussion group will meet the first Thursday of every month from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Trustees' Room, unless otherwise specified. Taking its keynote from the memorable Nabokov introduction in which he announced, ‘We are now ready to tackle Dickens. We are now ready to embrace Dickens. We are now ready to bask in Dickens,’ the group seeks to create a welcoming literary space where members may tackle, embrace, and bask in Dickens for years to come.
The group is open to all levels of experience and interest in Dickens, from those who have never had the pleasure of meeting him at all, to those who had a brief acquaintance with him in school, to those many for whom he has become an old and very dear friend.
Interested members should contact the group’s moderators Claire Laporte and Clive Martin to be placed on the email list: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
We offer meetings through a virtual platform and in-person with a hybrid connection. Please contact the group moderator with questions.
- Happy summer!
- Sep. 2: Bleak House, part I
- Oct. 7: Bleak House, part II
- Nov. 4: Oliver Goldsmith, The Vicar of Wakefield
- Dec. 2: Christmas Stories (precise ones TBD)
- Jan. 6: Little Dorrit, part I
- Feb. 3: Little Dorrit, part II
- Mar. 3: Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe
- Apr. 7: A Tale of Two Cities
- May 5: Great Expectations, parts I and II
- Jun. 2: Great Expectations, part III