The Dickens discussion group will meet the first Thursday of every month from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Trustees' Room, unless otherwise specified. Taking its keynote from the memorable Nabokov introduction in which he announced, ‘We are now ready to tackle Dickens. We are now ready to embrace Dickens. We are now ready to bask in Dickens,’ the group seeks to create a welcoming literary space where members may tackle, embrace, and bask in Dickens for years to come.
The group is open to all levels of experience and interest in Dickens, from those who have never had the pleasure of meeting him at all, to those who had a brief acquaintance with him in school, to those many for whom he has become an old and very dear friend.
Interested members should contact the group’s moderators Claire Laporte and Clive Martin to be placed on the email list: CLL@foleyhoag.com and email@example.com.
- Jun. 7: Sketches by Boz
- Happy Summer!
- Sep. 6: Our Mutual Friend, parts I and II
- Oct. 4: Our Mutual Friend, parts III and IV
- Nov. 1: Sketches By Box (approx. 25 of these essays)
- Dec. 6: Pickwick Papers, chapters 1–29 (including "Christmas at Dingley Dell")
- Jan. 3: Pickwick Papers, ch. 30–57
- Feb. 7: Mystery Of Edwin Drood
- Mar. 5 (N.B. this is the first Tuesday): Dickens group has been invited to join the Trollope group for their regularly scheduled meeting to discuss Mary Elizabeth Braddon's Lady Audley’s Secret
- Mar. 7 meeting cancelled in light of joint meeting with Trollope.
- Apr. 4: Oliver Twist
- May 2: TBD
- Jun. 6: TBD