The New England Seminar meets the first Monday of the month at 6:00 pm. The Group reads fiction and non-fiction written about Boston and New England. Past selections include Santayana's The Last Puritan, Louis Menand's The Metaphysical Club, Dorothy West's The Living Is Easy, William Dean Howells', The Rise of Silas Lapham, Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, and Nathaniel Hawthorne's Collected Short Stories.
Interested members should contact the group’s moderator, Peg Wheeler, to be placed on the email list: email@example.com.
We offer meetings through a virtual platform and in-person with a hybrid connection. Please contact the group moderator with questions.
- Aug. 2: Kerri Greenidge, Black Radical
- Sep. 13 (N.B. this is the second Monday): Anthony Doerr, All the Light We Cannot See
- Oct. 4: Heather Cox Richardson, How the South Won the Civil War
- Nov. 1: Madeline Miller, Circe: A Novel
- Dec. 6: George V. Higgins, The Friends of Eddie Coyle
- Jan. 3: Henry James, The Aspern Papers
- Feb. 7: Susan Cheever, American Bloomsbury
- Mar. 7: Tobey Pearl, Terror to the Wicked
- Apr. 4: Nathaniel Philbrick, In the Heart of the Sea
- May 2: John Cheever, The Wapshot Chronicle
- Jun. 6: Andrea Barrett, The Air We Breathe
- Happy summer!