The New England Seminar meets the first Monday of the month at 6:00 pm. The Group reads fiction and non-fiction written about Boston and New England. Past selections include Santayana's The Last Puritan, Louis Menand's The Metaphysical Club, Dorothy West's The Living Is Easy, William Dean Howells', The Rise of Silas Lapham, Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, and Nathaniel Hawthorne's Collected Short Stories.
Interested members should contact the group’s moderator, Peg Wheeler, to be placed on the email list: email@example.com.
We offer meetings through a virtual platform and in-person with a hybrid connection. Please contact the group moderator with questions.
- Happy summer!
- Sep. 12 (N.B. this is the second Monday): Donna Tartt, The Secret History
- Oct. 3: Ernest Hebert, The Dogs of March
- Nov. 7: Mark Frost, The Greatest Game Ever Played
- Dec. 5: Jennifer Haigh, Mercy Street
- Jan. 2: Martha Ackmann, These Fevered Days
- Feb. 6: Deborah Cohen, Last Call at the Hotel Imperial
- Mar. 6: Ann Petry, The Narrows
- Apr. 3: Patrick Radden Keefe, Empire of Pain
- May 1: Scott Borchert, Republic of Detours
- Jun. 5: John Taylor Williams, Shores of Bohemia