The New England Seminar meets the first Monday of the month at 6:00 pm. The Group reads fiction and non-fiction written about Boston and New England. Past selections include Santayana's The Last Puritan, Louis Menand's The Metaphysical Club, Dorothy West's The Living Is Easy, William Dean Howells', The Rise of Silas Lapham, Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, and Nathaniel Hawthorne's Collected Short Stories.
Interested members should contact the group’s moderator, Peg Wheeler, to be placed on the email list: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jun. 4: Donald Hall, String Too Short to be Saved
- Happy summer!
- Sep. 10 (N.B. this is the second Monday): Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
- Oct. 1: Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
- Nov. 5: Donna Lucey, Sargent’s Women
- Dec. 3: Anita Diamant, The Boston Girl
- Jan. 7: Jennifer Haigh, Heat and Light
- Feb. 4: Charles Mann, 1491
- Mar. 4: Matthew Pearl, The Dante Club
- Apr. 1: William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
- May 6: Annette Gordon-Reed, Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings
- Jun. 3: Jane Goodrich, The House at Lobster Cove