Short & Sweet meets virtually the fourth Thursday (with exceptions noted below) of each month at 6:00 p.m.
“If I had more time, this would be shorter.” Just because something is a quick read does not mean it can be easily appreciated.
During the stay-at-home advisory, we initiated a new, weekly discussion group, Short & Sweet, to connect via videoconference with readers while respecting social distancing. Now that we move toward a “new normal,” we’ll plan to meet once a month, the fourth Thursday of the month when possible, via videoconference for the foreseeable future.
To join the group, email firstname.lastname@example.org to let librarians know. You will receive an invitation with link or password by email.
- Jul. 23: Alice Munro, “The Bear Came Over the Mountain”
- Aug. 20 (N.B. this is the third Thursday): Jhumpa Lahiri, "The Third and Final Continent"
- Sep. 24: Shirley Hazzard, “Villa Adriana” from Cliffs of Fall
- Oct. 22: Edith Wharton, "The Muse’s Tragedy”
- Nov. 5 (N.B. this is the first Thursday): Tim O'Brien, "The Things They Carried"
- Dec. 3 (N.B. this is the first Thursday): Savyon Liebrecht, "Apples from the Desert"