Sponsored by the Boston Athenæum Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion Working Group
Interested in social justice issues? So are we! The Boston Athenæum’s Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion (DEAI) Working Group invites you to join our Social Justice Initiative. We’ll meet once a month to discuss a variety of materials and resources aimed at deepening our understanding of social justice and increasing our cultural competencies. Join us every Third Wednesday at noon.
The Social Justice Initiative welcomes new particpants, so please, join us! You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We offer meetings through a virtual platform and in-person with a hybrid connection. Please contact the DEAI team with questions.
- Oct. 20: Crip Camp: a Disability Revolution (documentary on Netflix)
- Nov. 17: Jim Vrabel, A People’s History of the New Boston (nonfiction)
- Dec. 15: Juila Alvarez, Afterlife (novel)
- Jan. 19: Amanda Gorman, Call us What We Carry
- Feb. 16: High on the Hog, a Netflix mini-series on the history of and impact that African-American cooking and food have had on American culture. The series is four episodes long and folks are encouraged to watch as much as they like, but need only watch the first episode to join the discussion.
- Mar. 16: Lorraine Hansberry, A Raisin in the Sun
- Apr. 20: Kareem Abdul Jabbar's essay, "Black Cop's Kid"
- May 18: Jordan Hirsch, "The Strange Career of Beautiful Crescent"
- Jun. 15