This discussion group was established in honor of the centenary of the August 1914 outbreak of World War I. Titles will be chosen democratically by group members. The group will meet the first Saturday of each month from 10:30 am to noon in the Trustees' Room, subject to adjustment for holidays.
- Oct. 6: Adam Tooze, The Deluge: The Great War, America and the Remaking of the Global Order 1916–1931
- Nov. 3: George F. Kennan, The Fateful Alliance: France, Russia and the Coming of the First World War
- Dec. 1: Jonathan Steinberg, Bismarck: A Life
- Jan. 5: Geoffrey Wawro, The Franco-Prussian War: The German Conquest of France in 1870–71
- Feb. 2: T. G. Otte, July Crisis: The World's Descent into War, Summer 1914
- Mar. 2: Jörn Leonhard, Pandora’s Box: A History of the First World War, chapters 1–5
- Apr. 6: Jörn Leonhard, Pandora’s Box: A History of the First World War, ch. 6–end
- May 4 (N.B. group will begin meeting at noon, and in Seminar Room): E. R. Hooten, Prelude to the First World War: The Balkan Wars 1912–1913
- Jun. 1: Robert K. Massie, Dreadnaught: Great Britain, Germany and the Coming of the First World War
- Happy Summer!
- Sep. 7: reading t.b.d.