Boston Athenæum Strategic Priorities 2012-2015
Use the Boston Athenæum’s collections to further intellectual engagement, visibility, and financial support.
- Enhance the appreciation, understanding, and use of the collections through services for members and scholars
- Maintain and preserve collections through a robust conservation program
- Provide signature events based on the collections
- Augment all collections through endowed funds for acquisitions in all media
- Increase access to our collections through cataloguing and digitization
Offer diverse programs and services delivered within the Boston Athenæum’s iconic building as well as via interactive and dynamic online access.
- Present events that incorporate intellectual curiosity with opportunities for social interaction
- Develop programs that more fully utilize collections, reflect the interests of different member segments, and leverage available multimedia technologies
- Offer online access to programs and services via the Boston Athenæum website
Recruit, attract and retain members of diverse backgrounds.
- Increase membership 5 - 10%
- Strengthen retention for all membership categories especially among Young Patrons
- Recruit Board members who more fully reflect diverse backgrounds
- Enhance the collection of demographic data on members
- Utilize social media technology as a public relations and marketing tool to increase visibility among target audiences
Focus financial efforts on endowment growth, stability, and financial equilibrium.
- Demonstrate prudent stewardship of the current endowment
- Increase income from planned giving, major and special gifts, and annual giving
- Investigate the feasibility of increasing the endowment
- Provide clarity to members and staff about current and future financial needs
- Prepare and test a case statement for a capital campaign