About the Children's Library
The Children’s Library serves the children of Boston Athenæum members from their earliest days through adolescence. We're excited about the new space being designed specifically for our youngest readers but we're dedicated to offering reader services throughout the construction process. Sign up for the weekly newsletter to hear more! For now, come to the Reference Desk on the second floor for story time or when you need help or contact us before you come.
Where can you find children's books and spaces now?
- The new picture books and board books are in bins under the new bookshelves on the first floor.
- New books for youths are on a cart by the Reference Desk on the second floor.
- Books for youths (PZ7s, PZ8s, PZ10s, followed by graphic novels) are on 2G along the wall with the elevator. Look for the workspace across the way!
- Young Readers and books in languages other than English are on a cart in the middle of the room. Look for the colorful branches!
- A space by the spiral staircase on the second floor where caregivers and children can read together.
- Young Adult (YA PZ7) followed by YA graphic novels are on the third floor, on the Granary side of the Long Room.
- Children's non-fiction are on the third floor, on the Granary side of the Long Room.
Remember you may also request books to be mailed or picked up at the circulation desk.
Join us for songs and stories at weekday drop-in story time (sign up to the newsletter for times!) or Saturday storytime at 10:30 am.
The Children's Library offers regular story times, set on Saturdays and on demand Fridays.
Weekly craft kits are available at the reference desk. They are for young members ages two and up. To see what this week's craft is, subscribe to our newsletter.
Reading challenges, writing workshops, DIY sessions, special collections visits, and volunteer opportunities support creativity and connection. As we redesign our children's spaces, there will be some disruptions, but we will continue to offer programming.
We offer month book groups for children of many ages.
Youth Discussion Group
Third Saturday of every month at 2 PM
Children can share their love of reading with their peers at this monthly discussion group. Each month, we discuss a different book from our children's collection. To keep young learners engaged, discussion is broken up with fun activities and crafts based on the book. Children are invited to vote on which book we read next. Past titles include beloved classics and new favorites from a variety of genres.
To sign up for a group or for more information, email the Children's Library Intern at email@example.com.
Explore the Children's Library's collection with Themed Booklists, featuring fun titles, old and new, on topics to satisfy all interests.
Learn all about our Story Time presentations.