Boston Athenæum members who are already Proust enthusiasts, and those who are aficionados-in-the-making, are invited to join The Proust Selected Studies Group. The group typically meets the second Tuesday of every month, from 12:00 to 1:30 p.m., unless otherwise specified, in the Trustees' Room.
The group is led by Proust scholar Dr. Hollie Markland Harder, who is the director of language programs and Associate Professor of French at Brandeis University. Her work on Proust includes articles on Françoise’s cooking (“Proust’s Novel Confections: Françoise’s Cooking and Marcel’s Book,” which appeared in Modern Language Studies) and the function of humor in Proust’s novel (“Proust’s Human Comedy,” published in The Cambridge Companion to Proust).
For the 2018–2019 season, the group will discuss the below topics.
Participants must sign up in advance for the year. There is a fee of $100 per year. Anyone interested should contact the Circulation Desk at (617) 227-0270 x279 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- no September meeting
- Nov. 13: Proust and Flaubert
- Jan. 8: Caroline Weber, Proust's Duchess
- January 15 snow date for January
- Mar. 12: Proust and Samuel Beckett
- March 19 snow date for March
- Apr. 9 (making up for cancelled September 2018 meeting): Albertine as a twentieth-century Amazon
- May 14: Proust and Bergson