The Boston Athenæum happily welcomes academic groups to use the institution’s special collections for instructional purposes. Currently all group visits are being held virtually.
Virtual academic group visits cost $5 per person and can include an introduction to the Athenæum (building, history, and collections) and/or an exploration of materials from the Athenæum's remarkable special collections.
To schedule a virtual class visit, please refer to the guidelines below and complete the class request form or contact Hannah Weisman, Director of Education, at 617-720-7617 or email@example.com.
Adherence to the following guidelines will help ensure that academic groups have a successful experience:
- Class visits should be scheduled at least 4 weeks in advance. Every effort will be made to accommodate preferred time and date, but scheduling is subject to the availability of relevant staff members.
- The class instructor should meet by phone or video conference with the relevant Boston Athenæum staff person at least 2 weeks prior to the class to go over learning goals and select appropriate materials for the class. Instructors are encouraged to search the Boston Athenæum’s catalog prior to this meeting to identify material of interest. Reference librarians are happy to assist instructors with catalog searches, but instructors are encouraged to register in the Athenæum’s Special Collections system, search the online catalog, and submit requests for materials through that system.
- Every effort will be made to provide access to the desired materials. However, fragile materials, materials being processed, or other restrictions may limit the availability of some materials.
- The teacher or professor of the group must teach the class unless otherwise arranged in advance with the Athenæum's Director of Education.
- The Athenæum hosts class visits on Zoom and a link to the class session will be provided by the Athenæum's Director of Education. If a school mandates the use of its own video conferencing platform, the class instructor should make arrangements with the Director of Education at least 2 weeks in advance.
Please contact Hannah Weisman, Director of Education, at 617-720-7617 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.