Day Passes are available! Please read about them below. Call 617-720-7604 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions.
Also note the latest information about safety measures.
Day Pass Policies
How to purchase
- Day Passes are $40 per person, and are valid for all open hours: 9:00am–8:00pm Monday through Thursday, and 9:00am–5:00pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Each Day Pass admits one adult only. Day Pass users may bring in children 12 and under at no charge.
- Day Passes admit users to all parts of the Boston Athenæum that are open to members.
- We offer five Day Passes per day. Once we have issued Day Pass #5, we will not admit any more Day Pass visitors until the next day.
- Passes are available on a first come, first serve basis.
- To purchase a Day Pass, register at the front desk with a current, government-issued ID.
- Day Pass users may come and go from the library freely throughout the day.
- When in-person events resume in the building, Day Pass users can attend events at the member rates.
- If you would like to become a member on the same day you purchase a Day Pass, we will deduct the $40 fee from the cost of your membership.
Using the library
All persons using the library are expected to conduct themselves in a quiet, civil, and courteous manner.
Day Pass users have access to all member areas of the building, use of WiFi, and use of public computers and printing.
Bags must be smaller than 11x17 inches. No backpacks or luggage are allowed in the library; they may be stored in the lockers in the vestibule.
The fifth floor and the Gordon Newspaper Reading Room are silent spaces.
Talking on phones is prohibited throughout the building except for in the first-floor phone booths or the lobby.
Covered beverages allowed; food is only permitted in the Members' Lounge on the fifth floor.
Flash photography, selfie sticks, and tripods are not allowed. Day Pass users are welcome to take photos without flash.
Day Pass users are not allowed to check out books. Browsing and reading circulating collection items while in the building is welcomed! Do not reshelve items yourself—drop them off in designated areas on each floor or at the front desk for reshelving.
See a complete list of the Athenæum's Regulations.
Day Pass Hours (same as Member Hours)
|Monday to Thursday||9 a.m.–8 p.m.|
|Friday and Saturday||9 a.m.–5 p.m.|
Visit the "Lists of Closings" page for the days the building will be closed.