Plan a Special Day
We welcome you to come visit, give rein to your curiosity, and experience all twelve floors of historic reading rooms and bookshelves. Artworks and furniture from the special collections make the Athenæum a truly comfortable and inviting place to spend the day. Amenities include free WiFi and well-lit work tables, cozy nooks, and lovely views of the city in all seasons.
Call 617-720-7604 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Also note the latest information about safety measures.
See you soon!
Acquiring a Day Pass
How to use your Day Pass
- Day Passes are $40 per person, and are valid for one day only
- Day Pass users can access the Boston Athenæum during all open hours the day their pass is valid: 9am–8pm Monday through Thursday, and 9am–5pm on Friday and Saturday.
- Each Day Pass admits one adult and their children 12 and under.
- Day Passes admit users to all parts of the Boston Athenæum that are open to members.
- To purchase a Day Pass, register at the front desk with a current, government-issued ID.
- Day Pass users may come and go from the library freely throughout the day.
- If you would like to become a member on the same day you purchase a Day Pass, we will deduct the $40 fee from the cost of your membership.
Using the library
All persons using the library are expected to conduct themselves in a quiet, civil, and courteous manner.
Day Pass users have access to all member areas of the building, use of WiFi, and use of public computers and printing.
Bags must be smaller than 11x17 inches. No backpacks or luggage are allowed in the library; they may be stored in the lockers in the vestibule.
The fifth floor is a silent space.
Talking on phones is prohibited throughout the building except in designated areas. Please check with the front desk.
Covered beverages allowed; food is only permitted in the Members' Lounge on the fifth floor.
Flash photography, selfie sticks, and tripods are not allowed. You are welcome to take photos without flash.
Browsing and reading circulating collection items while in the building is welcomed! Do not reshelve items yourself—drop them off in designated areas on each floor or at the front desk for reshelving. Day Pass users may not check out books. Become a member to take books home with you.
See a complete list of the Athenæum's Regulations.